REGISTRATION, EVALUATION AND AUTHORISATION OF CHEMICALS
The EOC Group is aware of the new European legislation on chemical substances namely Regulation (EC) No. 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2006 concerning the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) that came into force on 1 June 2007.
Within the scope of this REACH regulation, all chemical substances that are produced within and/or imported into the European Union in volumes above 1 ton per year have to be registered by the producer/importer of the chemical substance.
The EOC Group is fully committed to meet the legal obligations under REACH and will cooperate actively with its suppliers and customers to ensure compliance within the required timeline.
REACH AND PRODUCTS OF THE EOC GROUP
According to the definitions set out in article 3 of the REACH regulation (EC) No. 1907/2006, the EOC Group product range can be divided in three types of end products:
- Substances: the chemical substances manufactured by each European legal entity of the EOC Group have been successfully pre-registered at the ECHA (European Chemical Agency) in Helsinki. Pre-registration numbers are available at the EOC offices but are considered as confidential business information. During the next phase of the REACH regulation, namely the registration, the chemical substances in our product portfolio will be reviewed and the EOC Group will decide which chemical substances will be registered at the ECHA. We will inform you in due time of any decision that may be relevant for your business.
- Preparations: the preparations manufactured by each European legal entity of the EOC Group are exempted from the REACH (pre)-registration. However, the chemical substances used to produce the preparations need to be (pre)-registered by the manufacturer/importer of these chemical substances. The EOC Group is in active contact with its raw material suppliers and will use in its production processes only raw materials that are compliant with the REACH regulation.
- Polymers: the polymers manufactured by each European legal entity of the EOC Group are exempted from the REACH (pre)-registration according to article 6 of the REACH regulation.
However, as a European polymer producer, the EOC Group has successfully pre-registered the used monomer units and additives (present in the polymer above 2 %), as recommended by the ECHA.
REACH AND COMMUNICATION ALONG THE SUPPLY CHAIN
Communication along the supply chain is a key issue to ensure compliance with the REACH regulation within the required timeline.
- Communication from the customers to the EOC Group:
The customers of the EOC Group can be considered under REACH as a downstream user.
A downstream user is defined as a user of chemical substances, preparations and/or polymers without creating a new chemical substance.
In drawing up the registration files (in particular the chemical safety report) exposure scenarios need to be defined. Therefore generic exposure scenarios that cover the most common uses/applications will be developed.
If you use our products for more specific uses/applications, you can always let us know your use/application. This more specific use/application will be reviewed and after successful evaluation it can be included as an identified use in the chemical safety report of the registration file.
- Communication from the EOC Group to the customers:
If the chemical safety reports of the products with the identified uses, exposure scenarios and risk management measures are available; this information will be communicated to the customers of the EOC Group to ensure a safely handling of the products.
FURTHER INFORMATION ON REACH
Tel: +32 (0) 55 23 58 58
Fax: +32 (0) 55 23 58 59